ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc

Saturday, January 08, 2005

About e-books

"...Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom. Having Google or Alexandria or the Library of Congress contain all works in a particular form at a particular time is potentially useful, but without critical skills and background any arbitrary reader is likely to find nonsense and believe it fact, read fact and conclude fiction, or simply be left in a state of greater confusion than before... "

I agree.



Data is not necessarily information, but it is better than nothing.



Since thousand of years the purpose of teaching has began with giving opportunities.

The more opportunities, the more culture was spread.

We came from an age when most people couldn’t read or write to one when analphabetism is not so wide spread any more.

That was thanks to the fact that books were published and not hand written.

The fact that culture became cheaper meant that more people could have access to it.

That didn’t mean that all who could have access to it became suddenly cultured people.



As regarding interactivity, I agree, ebooks should be used in their full potential, which is not only text.



I have a Free ebooks website with more than 800 classic ebooks online

http://www.easymediabroadcast.com



I use a mostly unknown software: TK3 which in my opinion is the best you could use.

It allows you a certain kind of interactivity and gives the publisher the chance to use also audio in his ebooks.

I think my most successful ebooks are the audio ebooks.



The one I love most is Tess of the D’Urbervilles, which is a big one, but worth downloading.

I made the next in several volumes, and that helps a lot.



I do it for a hobby and I do not count my time and costs.



But I think what is still lacking on the market is a good hardware for ebooks and emagazines and enews.

It should be something like a tablet PC, not too small, the size of a paperback book, very light and with a good screen.

It could be used like a real book, but with the advantage of carrying several books in one DVD.

Everybody could in this way own a full library (which is a dream for people who like to read) on a few DVDs.

And books could really be interactive.

When I was a child I loved reading, and I would have liked to have a speaking book with images and may be small movies.

I guess interactivity would be perfect for children books and scientific books.



And it would also be possible to easily download a book from the Internet.

Culture would be really accessible to most.



What I found interesting on my website is that the majority of people (enthusiastic) downloading my ebooks is from countries like India or Middle East.

In this way they can have access to books they wouldn’t be able to buy.



So, "And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom", but it is better than ignorance.





Patrizia







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the ebooks!

 
ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc