ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Solutions Jim Kunstler's style

"Insofar as I just returned from a college lecture road trip, and heard the same carping all over again, I conclude that it's necessary for me to spell it all out a'fresh. I think of this not so much as a roster of "solutions" but as a set of reasonable responses to a new set of circumstances. (Not everything we try to do will succeed, that is, be a "solution.") So, for those of you who are tired of wringing your hands, who would like to do something useful, or focus your attention in a purposeful way, here it is..."
Jim Kunstler

I am kind of confused.
I always agree with Jim Kunstler, I can say we have the same view of life.
But I also feel that I have reached old age and this is the sign of it.
My grandfather used to tell me how life was great when he was young, how much simpler without high technology and machines.
When people did jobs with their own hands and worked much more than 8 hours a day.
When vegetables had cows' fertilizer and the water was clean and came from the ground and didn't need chlorine to be drinkable.
How nice it was working all week and being proud of your job.
What he didn't say was that at his times, with cows' fertilizers, there was not food enough for everybody, that he was lucky, but many weren't, and had to work all week and still went to bed with an empty stomach.
He didn't say how terrible it was waking up in the morning and having to work hours to get rid of the night's ice just to begin to work, that when they began working they had already worked more than a man works now in a full week.

What I think is that YES we will have to find a replacement for oil and energy, we will have to find something new.
Because we cannot just simply go backward.
We can make our life better, with less cars, less portable phones, may be less TV or video games, but we cannot live as we lived fifty years ago or as our fathers lived.
History never allowed to go backward, we are OBLIGED to go forward.
With or without oil.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc