ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Mobile TV

Tech Review writes:



Mobile TV is exciting. But for me, the daily thrill of playing around with phones that serve as teeny TVs began to fade just around the moment I crossed the threshold to my apartment after work. That's because at home, I have absolute control over what I see and how I see it. I have a Hewlett-Packard Media Center PC, a buggy but powerful machine that, in addition to serving as an ordinary computer, utterly blurs the distinction between streaming Web video and broadcast television. It allows me to watch, record, and organize video content from any source -- the Web, broadcast TV, or DVDs. And because I also use the Windows Media Center Extender, I can have all that content streamed directly to my television.
Simply put, mobile television is, for the moment, the exact opposite of that experience. While Comcast may own the pipeline into my home, it doesn't control the information that goes through those pipes. With mobile television, the only way to get content on phones is through the gatekeepers. That means that Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular can potentially dictate what you see and how you see it.



Right now I am of the opinion that potentially they could do a lot, but being TV what it is and the means to broadcast it on a cell phone what they are and especially the video size what it is, their potential has narrow limits...
 
ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc