ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

YOG , you can eat, enjoy and be safe.

"For millions of Americans, bagged salads are a miracle food, the perfect mix of health and convenience.

Time-pressed cooks can rip open a bag and pour the leaves right into the bowl, reassured by the "triple-washed" label that some wondrous process has rendered these greens squeaky clean and ready for dinner.

They don't want to think about E. coli O157:H7. And the salad industry doesn't want them thinking about it either."

"One of the biggest hurdles facing scientists now is how salad bagging works.

Thousands upon thousands of salad leaves are taken to a central plant, washed together, bagged and shipped. Even if only a few leaves are tainted, harmful pathogens can spread in the wash water — the modern salad version of the old adage that one bad apple spoils the whole barrel."
A serious illness linked to E. coli that can cause kidneys to fail.
The illness,hemolytic-uremic syndrome, or HUS, is most common in children.
Most companies treat their salad wash water by adding an antimicrobial agent, typically chlorine. Ideally, a rinse in clean, chlorinated water would whisk off those pathogens and prevent them from migrating to other leaves. But tiny amounts of pathogens can survive those washes and taint clean leaves.
T-128 has been shown in studies to boost the power of chlorinated water. "

My humble proposal is WWW wash, wash wash, and FFF fresh, fresh, fresh, mostly lll local local local.
If it is YOG your own garden, well you can eat, enjoy and be safe.

2 comments:

logo items said...

I love YOG! I always wish that I have one and I always plan to have one. But, why can't I just make it? But the best part is that I live near the market, so I still get the fresh catch of the day. But, I still want to have my YOG. I really hope so.

Baffington.post said...

I am a poor DIYG (do it yourself gardener) but sometimes I am successful, the important is chosing vegetables easy to grow, like zucchini or tomatoes or salad.
My summers are the healtiest, and I even enjoy it!

 
ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc