ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc

Monday, March 17, 2008

Is there still a meaning for the word Privacy?

The creator of the web has said consumers need to be protected against systems which can track their activity on the internet.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee told BBC News he would change his internet provider if it introduced such a system.

Plans by leading internet providers to use Phorm, a company which tracks web activity to create personalised adverts, have sparked controversy.

Sir Tim said he did not want his ISP to track which websites he visited.

"I want to know if I look up a whole lot of books about some form
of cancer that that's not going to get to my insurance company
and I'm going to find my insurance premium is going to go up by 5%
because they've figured I'm looking at those books," he said.

Sir Tim said his data and web history belonged to him.

He said: "It's mine - you can't have it. If you want to use it for
something, then you have to negotiate with me. I have to agree,
I have to understand what I'm getting in return."

Full Article

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc