ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Here come Les Blocs

By: Nick Danger · Section: Diaries


Richard Stastny VoIP and ENUM


According to C|Net, France's Commission generale de terminologie et de neologie ("the monkeys of surrender with the new words") has decided that the term "blog" is an affront to the long noses of the French people [I told you no more Babelfish -- ed.] and will henceforth be replaced in French class with the more pleasing bloc-notes.

It will be permissable, at least in France, to use the short form "bloc." And so France will soon have blocs and presumably bloceurs and bloceuses.
At presstime it was not possible to determine whether bloc is a 'le' or a 'la,' which is the same problem we have always had with all French words.

The Germans, meanwhile, are expected to go the other way. They always do. Instead of coining an entirely new — and consequently short — word, they are expected to follow their usual practice and deem these entities komputerdailynotesgelisters.

Nick made this up: the official word is Zwischennetztagebuchaufzeichnung

In Brussels, the EU Ministry of Technologie reacted with alarm to this proliferation of 'blog' terms unique to each country, especially after they learned that the Poles intended to call them gzybrgrlz.
The EU has consequently appointed a commission to draft a plan to hold a meeting to prepare an agenda. Officials are hopeful that a single, Europe-wide standard term can be introduced in time for the 2104 Olympics.

They are being, as usual, too optimistic, we won't be ready, they forget we will need Referendums, and what if they say NO?

Patrizia

2 comments:

Richard said...

It is considered bloc-notes etiquette to link and indicate to the original if la bloceuse copies from another Blog ;-)

Baffington.post said...

I apologize if I didn’t write your name, I copied what was written, I thought that was the author





Here come Les Blocs

By: Nick Danger · Section: Diaries





But I have no problem to write your name too, I really have no intention to show as mine what doesn’t belong to me…

In a world where everybody steals and infringes copyrights, it would really mean a lack of originality…



By the way, I wanted to comment in your blog, but was too stupid to find the place where to, I find that article very funny and (too sad) very realistic…





Have a nice day, I will, on my side, as a diligent bloceuse, add your name…or would you like something else?

Don’t say delete it, because I won’t…



Patrizia

 
ss_blog_claim=a290fbfb2dabf576491bbfbeda3c15bc